Monday, July 19, 2010

Googled Myself

Googling yourself can be an eye opening thing, fortunately for me there wasn't much there when I did. I googled myself by typing in my name Matt Ellertson and put it in quotations:http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=%22matt+ellertson%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=%22matt+ellertson%22&gs_rfai=&fp=331a175575780bd9
All I found were links to my facebook page, myspace page, lists I made on amazon.com, an Oregon Duck website I look at and old school information from Willamette University. Also, I used pipl.com here: http://pipl.com/search/?FirstName=matt&LastName=ellertson&City=Vancouver&State=WA&Country=US&CategoryID=2&Interface=2
and came away with links to the same websites, in addition to my voter record and my verification as a licensed notary public. None of these are anything bad or information I wouldn't want employers or my future students to know about me.

Teachers should be held to a higher standard and think about the actions and words they use because they have influence on kids and those around them. If a teacher has a website or blog, it is important to have appropriate material and avoid bad language because students, parents, and peers will have access to it. Teachers need to protect themselves and avoid anything that can be incriminating or bring their job into question.

It is amazing to me that teachers can be fired or denied their teaching license for things that seem so punitive such as a picture showing them with an alcoholic beverage, as described in "Have you Googled Your Teacher Lately". The severity of the situation is dependent on an administrator or superintendents own personal feelings towards the the act or "inappropriate activity". There isn't a clear-cut law or rule in place for teachers to follow. Teachers are adults and should be viewed as such.

As a person working towards becoming a teacher I try to conduct myself in a professional manner and not put myself in any situation which may put my career in jeopardy. I enjoy my life as an adult but avoid broadcasting it to the world.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Matt. As teachers, we need to use good judgment and common sense, and do our best to avoid anything that could be perceived to be controversial. I think a lot of people forget to think before they say and do things on the Internet for the world to see. Nice blog, and thanks for your help on the website!

    ReplyDelete